Click here to go to the home page


In 1987 KATH kindly wrote:


"Harry joined the Royal Signals and was sent to France during the first week of the war in 1939.  Following his return from Dunkirk he was involved in the invasion of North Africa with the lst Army.  He subsequently saw action in Sciliy and Italy and returned to England in time to join the D Day invasion with the 8th Army.


He remained in the Army after the war ended in 1945. 'We spent an interesting six years in Singapore from 1943 to 1954 followed by a three year 'tour in the Ministry of Defence in London.  That was compensated for though when we went to East Africa from 1957 to 1960. Harry was stationed in Kenya, where we enjoyed not only the sights and sounds of the African jungle, but the sun and sands of Mombasa too.


A tour nearer home from 1960 to 1963 which we spent in Fontainebleau with the NATO Headquarters.  Harry spent his last two years in the Army at the Royal Signals Records Office at Reading and finally retired in 1965 with the rank of Major.  A distinguished military spanning many years.


Following his retirement from the Army Harry joined the Ministry of Defence Civil Service with whom he stayed until 1978 when he finally retired and we moved from Reading to Wimborne in Dorset.


Harry and I were married in 1938.  Our son David, was born in 1941 and Eileen (Lee) arrived in 1948.  Following his attendance at Welbeck College,  David graduated from the Royal Military College at Sandhurst and joined the Royal Signals in 1961.  He retired as a Major in 1978 and is now the managing director of Racal Vodac in Newbury.  David and Phyllis were married in 1964 and their son, Jeremy was born in 1968.  Following his successes at his advanced level examinations Jeremy is at present studying to be a doctor.


Lee joined the Civil Service and was married in 1969.  She and Robert had three children, Simon, Clair and Victoria.  Unfortunately Lee and Robert were divorced in 1983.


Harry passed away in January 1982. He had led a very full and active life and is fondly remembered by all the family.  And finally I moved away from Wimborne in 1983 and now live in Bognor Regis in Sussex.